Nadège Druzkowski
Kalfshamarsvik, Oil on canvas, 105x135cm, 2009, private collection

Kálfshamarsvík is an ancient hamlet in the North of Iceland of which only a few remains survive today. A small wealthy fishing village in the 1920s, it hosted a community of around 100 people, before being deserted little by little and finally abandoned in the 1940s. A traditional fishing port, it was hard hit in the 1930s by the consequences of the depression on world markets and then by the Spanish Civil War, which was then a major opportunity for the sale of salted fish.

Forced to envisage change, the Icelanders sought out new opportunities to export their fish. This heralded the development of the sale of frozen fish leading to investment in bigger ships and fish factories such as the one built in Skagaströnd, a neighbouring village, in 1938. Such major installations were not adapted to the little port of Kálfshamarsvík. The village was abandoned and the inhabitants integrated the larger neighbouring communities. The shed depicted in the painting is the only building still standing in Kálfshamarsvík. It was built later in 1950 by two brothers from Skagaströnd to store their boats and fishing equipment.


Vaðlaheið. Acrylic on canvas 6 Fathoms below Inside the Mountain Past the Moss Ball Past the Blue Mountain Strasbourg Sofitel Hotel On the way to Borgarvirki. Acrylic on canvas A Winter in Skagastrond Kalfshamarsvik A Wave Passing over the Land A la Nuit Tombée